Monday, June 10, 2013

Love The Moment

Sometimes I wonder how different babysitting is from actually having my own children.  I definitely understand that the two are pretty much on opposite ends of the universe as far as how closely they are related... And as I sit here trying to figure out what everyone can agree one for dinner, it scares me sometimes.

You see, this summer I am a nanny. Pretty Mary Poppins, Nanny McFee, awesome right? (I even have the miniature carpet bag) and it is currently time for dinner. 

Don't get me wrong, I love love love kiddos of any age. They make me laugh and remind me of simpler days.  As I am growing up, more and more of my friends are becoming parents. Luckily, I am under the impression that my soon to be married little sister will be waiting a LONG time to enter into motherhood. 

I am happy for each and every one of these people in my life that are taking this step to be parents.  Maybe God will give me the gift of my own little one (or two or three) in the future. But right now, in my life I think I am content... 

Contentment. 

 It is really easy to get caught up into wanting to "upgrade" our lives. I personally, have spent a lot time living for the future. Which is funny considering I have a sign hanging in my room that says "Love the moment". That is not something I practice often, loving the moment and all.  Come on now, I mean, it's pretty much the culture we live in. Better, bigger, faster, what's on next, iPhone 5,000,000s society.

Truthfully, I have been really realizing the value in right now. 
So, maybe it would be nice to be 5 years from now with a career, apartment, and possibly a car big enough for me to fit more than me and my purse comfortably. But you know what's nice? No huge bills, dorm life, late nights and access to so much learning. Maybe it would be nice to not have to move back and forth to school but at least I still am coming back home for more than a visit... 

I don't even think that mentality is just concerning our "stuff" either... What about our relationships? 

being content with others of the opposite sex (Yeah, I went there.) It's easy to want to "take that next step". Waiting is tough not just for physical stuff but seeing if things are gonna work out. Trust me, I have been watching my little sister as her desire for "the Big Day" to be here daily goes head to head with not wanting it too go by too fast... 

Learning to love people right here and now is tough no matter what the relationship. Family... friends...It is really easy to look at the ones we are close too and think of ways they could " upgrade". In the midst of adversity with others, we can be content in the growing and the waiting for what God is doing. Nothing is harder to be content with than pain.  

 Could you be content with your life from this point on if nothing exciting ever happens? Cause wherever you are, in this exact moment, if you are pursuing Christ, is exactly where He wants you. 

And I am pretty okay with that. 

So, I am gonna take a deep breath, boil some spaghetti, then take the kids for ice cream in my dinky little Honda and... Love the moment. 

Phil. 4:11-13
 11 I am not saying this because I am in need, for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. 12 I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. 13 I can do all this through him who gives me strength.

No comments:

Post a Comment