Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Double Decade

With all the good intentions in my heart, I had originally planned to compose another post back closer to the 21st of this month in celebration of my birthday.  Well, needless to say the 21st came and went along with the 22nd, 23rd and on and on until it is now 5 days post birthday and I am now just getting to it. . . 

I am now the big "double decade" as I like to call it. The teen years will soon be a distant memory.  It is almost chilling to think about and relieving all at once. I have no idea about what God is going to do with the next 10, 20 or even 50 years of my life but if the past few months have been just a taste of what He has for me, there is nothing to fear about growing old.  

Let's get down too it shall we? 

 I have come to the conclusion that it is probably harder to be truthful with yourself than it is to be truthful with anyone else. Your parents, teachers and church can teach you about honesty with others all they like but it takes the power of God to teach us honesty with ourselves.   When you are single and on your own, you have no one else to look at but yourself. Personally, as I have been intentionally trying to follow through with this commitment, I feel like I have volunteered to sit in front of a gigantic mirror and really have a good look at who I really am.  Often times, I don't really like what I see and it is pretty uncomfortable. 

But this is what I have asked for though. To become more like Christ. . . and I am starting to see that the best way to do that is to be less infatuated with the made up ideal in my head that I am deep down some fantastic person just waiting to unleash my awesomeness on the world.  So,  I am going to keep sitting at my proverbial mirror and learn to be honest about the reflection, knowing that as time goes on, it will begin to look more and more like the image of Christ looking back.  Up on the wall next to my bed is going to go a little note card tonight, with the words "Be honest with yourself". . . If I can tell people what is wrong with them (speck), I darn well better be ready to see what is wrong with me (plank).

Challenged? I hope you are. I know I am. 




No comments:

Post a Comment