Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Puffer Fish Kind of Risky

My first box of 200 tissues is completely gone. . . mainly due to my previous illness earlier in the semester.  Now, less than a month later, cold symptoms are back with a nasty vengeance.  I accepted this reality with a disgusted groan. I then thrusted my foot locker from under my bed from which I extracted my second box of 200 count, 2 ply tissue.  

I probably deserve it though.  Probably punishment for my inconsistent updates. . ."BAD BLOGGER! BAD!" Honestly, I haven't quite known what I needed to put into words.  It takes some time to figure out exactly what God is trying to say sometimes and sometime even when I figure it out, it takes a while for it to full change the heart of the matter. 

I have made a dent in a few of my goals:

~ Played a video game last week in preparation for further conquest of my personally owned Greg Hasting's Xbox game which I acquired from a youth pastor who just wanted to get it off his hands.  Having friends with xboxes meant I was quite happy to oblige. . . goal #9 (in progress)

~ Lost some weight and learned how to free throw in basketball. This was intensely more energizing than running but I am going to have to get back on that high horse eventually. . . goal #2 (progressing as well) 

~ Developing my application for the psych program and solidify my career choice which I will have to share at a later date. . .goal #1 (coming close to completion, hopefully) 

. . .  well, this is a predicament isn't it?  I don't know if you have noticed, but I have. . . These goals are all great and stuff and I really do plan on following through with everyone of them as best as I can but. . . there is something I have noticed that troubles me. Nothing about any of these goals is putting me at risk.  No, no, no. . . I do not mean sky\cliff diving, bungee jumping, eating a poisonous puffer fish kind of risky.  

I mean out-of-your-comfort-zone, obsessed with Jesus kind of risky. 

One of my career advisors met with me for a chat and one thing that he pointed out about my personality was how much of a risk taker I am (NOT). . . for some reason this stuck with me.  Even over fall break while I was with my family and friends,  I realized how "safe" I can be about things sometime.

Life happens.  We get older and stuff happens.  The world gets more and more scary.  Taking risks internally (faith, relationships, planning) becomes less and less appealing.  

Francis Chan talks about this in his book "Crazy Love 
"We are consumed by safety. Obsessed with it actually. . .We have elevated safety to the neglect of what ever God's best is, whatever would bring God the most glory, or whatever would accomplish His purposes in our lives and in the world." 

He then goes on to ask one of the most impacting questions I have never thought to consider:
"Would you be willing to pray this prayer? 'God bring me closer to You. . . whatever it takes. . ." 

I am not sure how you felt just reading that.  But it is enough for me to have a "new #1" goal for me. . . I want to be a risk taker.  On the outside and more importantly the inside. Intentionally putting myself at risk for the sake of Christ.  Risks like loving my enemies, (not) making plans, giving up opportunities that are just shy of God's best. . . putting my heart in the world to be passionate for the people in it, knowing that it is not a matter of IF it will get broken but when and how often.

 I want to live a risky life. I might gain the whole world by doing the life the safe way, but I will never change the world without living at risk.  
What good will it be for a man if he gains the whole world, yet forfeits his soul? Or what can a man give in exchange for his soul? Matt. 16:26


"People who are obsessed with Jesus aren't consumed with their personal safety and comfort above all else.  Obsessed people care more about God's kingdom coming to this earth then their own lives being shielded from pain or distress." Chan "Crazy Love"

If taking risks is part of having a passionate, crazy, obsessed, consumed, love for my God. . . 

may I be a Risk Taker 





No comments:

Post a Comment