Tuesday, September 4, 2012

In the words of the great Kelly Clarkson, "it doesn't mean I am lonely when I'm alone."

What part of being alone means we have to be lonely?

Especially when it comes to being single. . . 


In the past 3 years I have spent a total of 12 months in three very different relationships.  And often times I felt more lonely in the relationship than I did before it started. . .  


What is so bad about being single? Maybe, the better question should be, what is so great about being single? 


That's what I am here to find out. 


I am ready to commit myself to singleness. To make a mission out of NOT being in a relationship. Living "without hypocrisy" as one definition of singleness. Having one motive. . .to be single. 


So, I have portioned out the next 365 days of my life to be dedicated to being single. . . not just single according to my social networking relationship status or "unofficial" flirtatious relationships.  I mean cold turkey, unattached, no scheming, no dreaming, completely committed singleness. 


The great thing about this is that I know I am not going to do this without purpose. . . 


No, I am not some chaste, charismatic, "I am dating Jesus", relationship hater. 


I just want to follow through with something for once in my life. . . I want to know what I means to not just be good at having a relationship, but I want to know how to be good at NOT having a relationship. 


Even when these 365 day are over it's not like I am going to be hoping on ChristianMingle.com and messaging the first available preacher boy. When these 365 day are over, I want to look back and see how I intentionally practiced singleness (without hypocrisy) and be proud of whatever it is I have learned. 


It's not about trying my best not to be in a relationship. . . it's about trying my best at being single.


So, within the next year I have decided to set some goals:


1. Get into my Psychology program 

2. Finish getting completely healthy 
3. produce a covered song
4. learn (try to anyway) the ukulele 
5. have an epic Valentines Day 
6. go to a country music concert 
7. Have a meaningful summer 
8. Learn psalms 139
9. learn how to play my very own video game 
10. Road trip 
11. create something 
12. discover heavenly passion for everything

I am tired of feeling like being single means I am lacking something; For the next year, I am going to find out exactly how much I have to gain. . . 











No comments:

Post a Comment