Saturday, July 27, 2013

poached eggs and pain

The little sister is married off and now a Mrs.  I couldn't have asked for a more beautiful wedding for my sweet girl.  It was a day I'll never forget.  Just perfect.  Now everything is returning to normal and I am trying to figure out ways to employ the rest of my summer outside of babysitting. . . 

Ugh. . . alright. . . 

As hard as I try to focus on my computer screen, I still feel like everything is spinning and twirling. Back and forth and up and down. . . but it was so worth it.  My thirst for adrenaline has been quenched. Yesterday was Cedar Point Amusement Park day. Gotta love it. Luckily, my motivation to write down some thoughts is greater than the effects of my disrupted equilibrium.  

 My original plan was to write yesterday but somehow standing in lines, in the hot sun, with about 10 bazillion chattering people sporting an array of interesting outerwear choices, didn't seem like the kind of place for any profound thinking to occur.  People watching is half the fun of amusement parks anyway. . . okay. . .maybe not half but at least one-third. 

I am really drawing a blank here. . .Fairly certain I left my brain in Sandusky, on a roller-coaster because I really haven't seen it all day. But, I guess since my head isn't in this, it will give my heart a more room to express itself. 

I must confess that I have discovered a recent love for poached eggs that I have never known before.  Yeah, I am being extremely shallow right now but I thought it was defiantly worth mentioning. . .  

In fact, poached eggs have become a silly and yet meaningful visual reminder of my heart.  People have a tendency to desensitize the older they get kind of like how an egg gets harder the longer it sit in the poacher. Unfortunately, after 326 days of working to critically examine myself, I have begun to see the "poaching" of life hardening my own heart. Keeping a soft heart through life is not easy.  Circumstances heat up and it feels almost impossible to remain sensitive and optimistic.  But, one of the best pieces of advice that I have heard recently was instead of just experiencing the challenges of life, be thankful for them.  Really.  Take a second and thank God for pain.  It really does work.  I tried it.  Thankfulness has the power to soften the heart.  I don't want to get to the end of my life and have an over poached, hard heart.  Trust me, it's not good for an egg and it's not good for your heart.  

That was a completely ridiculous soap box session.  I get that and I am okay with it.  I needed to write so I did and now that I have added to my "Amusement park hangover" I am very close to completely passing out.  Tonight, I am thankful for poached eggs and pain. 



I need you to soften my heart
To break me apart
I need you to open my eyes
To see that You're shaping my life
All I am,
I surrender
 

~ Elevation Worship "Give Me Faith" 


No comments:

Post a Comment